Preserving lemons

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. It is a perfect time to transition from the heat of the summer into cooler weather. It is a reminder to slow down and nurture my body and soul. There are many different ways to adjust for the seasonal changes and one of them is through my cooking. Fall and winter are perfect time to make stews. This spring my Moroccan girlfriend shared a perfect tagine (stew) recipe with me. It is my family's favorite go-to meal filled with spices, herbs, lots of different seasonal vegetables. Not only is it amazingly tasty but the house is filled with delightful aromas. 

One of the components of my friend's tagine (which I make is my cast iron pot, not a traditional clay pot) is preserved lemons. Normally, I just use regular lemon but as I was doing my shopping, I noticed that the supermarket carries Meyer lemons. These lemons are little bit sweeter - somewhere between a clementine and a lemon. I bought two bags of them and decided to try to preserve them the traditional way. I used a super easy recipe and due to its simplicity I feel it is worth sharing. Now my lemons are sitting in the basement, waiting to be used in about four to five weeks. 



Comments

  1. They are so good to eat in the Moroccan chicken recipe 👌😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts