A small kitchen

I love the idea of a small kitchen. Especially now since it is ultra trendy to have a large, open concept kitchen, there is something refreshing about seeing a small and simple but highly functional and aesthetically pleasing kitchen.

I grew up in Europe where small kitchens were the norm. Currently, we live in a 1920s Cotswold cottage house and it comes with a small kitchen. I am in no hurry to renovate it, which is putting me up to the challenge of making it really well organized and functional. Over the years, I have changed the color of the cabinets, some hardware, make some adjustments to the wall colors, added a chest, placed various rugs and runners etc. I have made the space very pleasing and mainly functional. As we are a family of five, I cook daily, sometimes several times a day and it goes to show that a large kitchen is not the key to making amazing meals regularly.

I was especially happy to stumble upon this great small kitchen of chef David Tanis and his low-key approach to cooking and entertaining.



There are two things that caught my eye. Firstly, he, that just like I, he also uses a chest (in his case Tansu chest) to store additional tableware and pickled vegetables.


Secondly, I love the use of the Ikea Kallax shelving units sitting on two wooden blocks. What a creative way to store your ceramic collection or serving pieces. Of course, my kids would share how delighted they are that a famous chef, just as their mom, goes through unwanted street treasures.


Lastly, I want to point out the Amber soap dispenser bottle by the sink. It is both visually pleasing and functional (rather than squeezing a bottle of dish soap). I ordered 2 sizes for my kitchen, smaller one for hand soap and a larger one for dish soap. I love it is a glass.


As you go through the Remodelista original article, I am sure you can find plenty of additional ideas that might suit your small space or inspire you to create something new and different in your home. Happy Sunday and a sunny week ahead.


Comments

  1. Small kitchen are the best
    Big kitchen are hard to cook in

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts